According to a recent study, Indian origin Microsoft CEO, Satya Nadella has emerged as the top paid CEO in US, with a yearly package of USD 84.3 million (Rs 525 crore).
This survey was conducted by the Equilar 100 CEO Pay Study, which analysed the pay packages of CEOs of the 100 largest public companies in the US. The largest companies are selected on the basis of their revenue. Another Indian origin CEO, Indira Nooyi of PepsiCo has also made it to the list. She is listed at rank 19, with a pay package of USD 19.08 million (Rs 119 crore approximately).
Last year, the top position was held by Larry Ellison, CEO of Oracle. With Satya Nadella being ranked first, Ellison has been pushed down to the second spot now. Ellison has a salary of USD 67.3 million (Rs 419 crore approximately) a year. The third position was taken up by Steven Mollenkopf, the CEO of Qualcomm, with a package of USD 60.7 (Rs 378 crore approximately) million a year.
A few others who have been featured in this list are Robert Iger, CEO of Walt Disney; Larry Merlo, CEO of CVS Health; K. Rupert Murdoch CEO of Twenty-First Century Fox; W. James McNerney, Jr CEO of Boeing; James Gorman CEO of Morgan Stanley; David Cote CEO of Honeywell International and Kenneth Chenault CEO of American Express.
The CEO pay list was rounded off by the famous investor Warren Buffet, CEO of Berkshire Hathaway. The compensation came to a total of USD 464,011 million. Also, the median pay has seen a rise of 5 percent in 2014. The median pay for the top 100 CEOs is now USD 14.3 million (Rs 90 crore approximately).
Satya Nadella became the CEO of Microsoft in February 2014. Here are few facts about him that you should know:
- Born in 1967 in Hyderabad, did his schooling from Hyderabad Public School
- He went on to study Electronics and Communication engineering at Manipal University
- He has two Master's degrees, Master's in Computer Science from University of Wisconsin, USA and an MBA from University of Chicago Booth School of Business, USA
- Nadella joined Microsoft in 1992. Before that he worked with Sun Microsystems, now a part of Oracle.
- He has been with Microsoft for 23 years now, holding various positions, such as President of server and tools, Senior Vice President of R&D for online services and Executive Vice President of cloud and enterprise strategy
- This is his first stint as CEO. Before assuming the position at Microsoft, Satya Nadella had never been in charge of an entire enterprise.